Effective Date: March 2014
Welcome to tjmaxx.com (the “Website”), the website for T.J. Maxx, a division of The TJX Companies, Inc. (“TJX”). TJX, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post, Derailed and other affiliates are the “TJX Businesses.” This Privacy Notice pertains to the personal information we collect about our customers on our Website, in our stores and through interest-based online advertising. The Privacy Notice describes:
- what we collect
- how to opt out of cookies or online behavioral advertising
- how we may use the information we collect
- how we share that information
- your choices and options regarding the information
- how you can contact us regarding our privacy practices
information we collect
We may collect certain personal information from you in connection with your activities at T.J. Maxx, such as when you shop on our Website or in our stores. This information may include:
- payment card or other financial account information;
- contact, billing, and shipping information (including name, e-mail address, postal address, and phone number);
- shopping history;
- driver’s license number, military identification or state-issued picture identification;
- date of birth;
- geolocation data; and
- other personal information you provide to us on our Website, on feedback forms, in our stores or when you interact with us in other ways, both online and offline.
Additionally, we or companies acting on our behalf may collect certain computer and browser information through automated technologies such as cookies and web beacons when you visit our Website (whether or not you have signed in as a register user) or otherwise interact with us online. A “cookie” is a file that a website sends to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to identify the browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
The information collected using these tools may include your IP address, the address of the web page that referred you to our Website, dates and times of Website visits and the location of your device. These automated technologies also permit the collection of “clickstream data,” which may include a log of content you access while browsing a website. Companies acting on our behalf may combine the information collected from your visit to our Website with other information they have collected previously.
opt-out from/restrict cookies and online behavioral advertising
Your web browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict, reject or disable certain cookies (but please note that we do not respond to "Do Not Track" signals from web browsers). Additionally, you may opt-out of data collection from the particular companies that we use to collect information from users of our Website.
We use a company called Certona to collect and analyze information about the use of our website, which we use in part to help customize each user’s shopping experience and to offer you products. To learn more about Certona’s collection and analysis of information by automated means, click here.
We also use a company called Adobe to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website. To learn more about Adobe’s collection and analysis of information by automated means, including how to opt out, click here.
We also use a company called Google to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website. This information helps us serve relevant advertisements to you on Google, and also helps us to measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. If you have an account with Google, click here to manage your advertising settings, otherwise you can manage these settings through your web browser as is described above.
We also use a company called AOL to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website. This information helps us serve relevant advertisements to you on other sites you may visit, and also helps us to measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. To learn more about AOL’s collection and analysis of information by automated means, including how to opt out, click here.
We also use a company called MediaMath to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website. This information helps us serve relevant advertisements to you on other sites you may visit, and also helps us to measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. To learn more about MediaMath’s collection and analysis of information by automated means, including how to opt out, click here.
how we use the information we collect
When we collect information from you, we may use it for a number of purposes, including to:
- Process, manage, complete and account for transactions, including purchases and refund, exchange and layaway requests
- Provide our products and services to you and fulfill your orders
- Identify your product and service preferences
- Improve merchandise selections and customer service
- Invite you to participate in customer research
- Notify you about new products, services, features, promotions, events and special offerings relating to the TJX Businesses we think you will find valuable
- Provide customer support and respond to your requests, comments and inquiries
- Create and manage online accounts you establish
- Enroll you in and administer our loyalty and other rewards programs upon your request
- Administer your participation in promotions, contests and sweepstakes
- Verify your identity in certain instances (such as when you pay by check, return merchandise, or request a refund)
- Secure our operations and protect against, identify and help prevent fraud, unauthorized activity, claims and other liabilities and minimize credit risk
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services, managing our communications, performing market research, and administering our Website)
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
In addition, we use information collected online through automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to our Website; (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse our Website; (iii) measuring and managing the advertising effectiveness of our online and offline advertisements and events; and (iv) managing our business. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Website, identify users of our Website, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time users spend on web pages of our Website, how users navigate through our Website, and how we may tailor our Website to better meet the needs of our users. In order for us to maintain the accuracy of your personal information and improve our communication with you, we may also supplement the information we collect with other public demographic information.
information we share
We may share your personal information among the TJX Businesses (which are affiliates owned by TJX, including Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post, Derailed, Winners, HomeSense, and T.K. Maxx). They may use this information to offer products and services to you consistent with the purposes identified in this statement. Your information may also be transferred as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including any transfers made as part of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation) involving all or part of the TJX Businesses or as part of a stock sale or other change in corporate control.
If a contest, sweepstakes or promotion is jointly-sponsored by us and one or more other sponsors, your information may be shared with such sponsors. We do not control other sponsors' use of your personal information, and their use of your information will be in accordance with their own privacy policies. If you do not wish for your information to be shared in this manner, you may choose not to participate in such jointly sponsored contests, sweepstakes or promotions. Such offerings may also be subject to additional rules and regulations governing your participation.
We may also share certain personal information we collect about you with partners or third parties who perform services for us or with whom we contract for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. For example, we may use third parties to host our Website, operate certain of its features, send e-mails, print or send mailings, run our sweepstakes, contests or other promotions, conduct customer research, authorize and process your payments, manage and analyze data and our advertising effectiveness, and fulfill orders. Such third-party service providers are given the information that they need to perform their designated functions and we do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information for their own or any others' marketing purposes.
We also may share the information you provide (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) with law enforcement authorities, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent harm or loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
We do not seek nor will we knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13.
Our Website may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. These linked websites operate independently from TJX and may have their own privacy notices or policies. Other linked websites may be owned or controlled by TJX but have privacy policies that differ from this one. To the extent any linked websites you visit are not owned or controlled by TJX, we are not responsible for the websites’ content, any use of the websites, or the privacy practices of the websites. We suggest you review the privacy policies of any linked websites you visit.
how we protect your information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of your personal information. However, we cannot guaranty the effectiveness of these safeguards, and nothing in this notice shall be construed as an express or implied warranty against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, you may contact us as described in the Contact Information section.
You can opt-out of receiving promotional e-mail and/or postal mail from us by doing the following:
- If you have an account with us on the Website, you may click on the “Email Preferences” tab of your “My Account” page.
- If you originally signed up for T.J. Maxx e-mail, you can update your preferences or opt-out by returning to your e-mail and clicking on the "unsubscribe" link or by clicking here.
- If you have received an e-mail from T.J. Maxx, you can update your preferences or opt-out from receiving further e-mails by following the opt-out or “unsubscribe” instructions provided in the e-mail you received.
- Contact Customer Service, Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) at the toll-free number 1-800-926-6299 if you do not want to receive promotional e-mail and/or postal mail communications from us in the future. Please specify if you would like to opt out of e-mail, or postal mail, or both. If you have already received communications from us, it will expedite the opt-out process if you are prepared to provide us with the exact name, and e-mail and/or postal mail addresses under which you have been receiving communications from us.
Please note that any opt-out for postal mail may take at least sixty (60) days to become effective. Also, you may still receive e-mail or postal mail from other members of the TJX Businesses if they received your e-mail or postal address from other sources or as a result of their own transactions or experiences with you, or if you request to hear from us again.
Notice to California Residents
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law provides that you be given the opportunity to opt out of our sharing your personal information with third parties that would use such personal information for their own direct marketing. Absent such an opt-out, we may share your information with other TJX Businesses (which are affiliates owned by TJX, including Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post and Derailied), to provide you with information about their products, services or promotions that we think may be of interest to you. We also may share your information with other non-affiliates absent such an opt-out, as described in the “Information We Share” section above. Accordingly, per California law, we provide a way for you to opt out if you do not want us to share your information in this manner.
California residents can opt out of our sharing your information as described above by contacting Customer Service, Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) at the following toll-free number: 1-800-926-6299, and requesting that you would like to opt out from receiving all marketing communications from T.J. Maxx and all other TJX Businesses. If you have already received communications from us, it will expedite the opt-out process if you are prepared to provide us with the exact name, e-mail and/or postal mail addresses under which you have been receiving communications from us. Please note that it may take us up to 30 days to fully process your opt-out request.
To review our complete Privacy Notice, please click here
If you have questions regarding our Privacy Notice, or if you wish to update the personal information you have provided to us, you may do so by:
- Writing to us at the following address:
770 Cochituate Road
Framingham, MA 01701
Attn: Customer Service - Privacy Notice
- Calling customer service Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) at the following toll-free number: 1-800-926-6299
changes to our notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our information practices. We will post a prominent notice on the site to notify you of any significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate when it was most recently updated.